Saturday, October 6, 2012

Is a Gumball Machine a Function???


I started talking about this last week when I was reviewing functions with my Algebra 2 class and it took on a life of its own in my mind.  When we were discussing input and output it made me think of a gumball machine.  I'm not sure why, but if I had to guess it's because my three rugrats at home cannot pass a gumball machine without hitting me up for a quarter!  And since you have to put IN a quarter to get OUT a gumball....that's where my mind went.  Because I used it as an example in my classroom, I couldn't very well assign it as a homework assignment or even an exit ticket type question. However, next year, I plan to use it as my output question in my INB.  Here is my formal question:

Is a gumball machine a function or not?  Why or why not?  Please explain/support your answer using mathematical reasoning. 

With all the changes that the Common Core is bringing to our curriculum, the one I am trying the hardest to incorporate into my classes is the writing.  I am trying to get my students to write more, explain more, and hopefully, understand better. We are working on proper vocabulary as well.  In my opinion, I think my INB will help me do this more in my classroom.  It certainly is making me reflect more on my lessons at the end of each day.  And now I have somewhere to keep those reflections for next year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment